Monday, December 13, 2010

Frohe Weihnachten!




Today a little surprise from Germany landed on my doorstep. I suppose my friend Dee Dee had grown tired of the constant barrage of emails from the Ubaydi family requesting a real German Nutcracker.

What a wonderful friend Dee Dee is...she managed to find me the perfect authentic, German Nutcracker and shipped him all the way from Germany before Christmas.

This nutcracker was made by hand in the Erzgebirge style. The body, arms, legs and base are made of lathe turned domestic wood. The feet and nose are carved of pre-cut wood. The large jaws are made of a single piece of wood and fastened with a solid metal bolt. A total of 130 steps are necessary to make one cleverly painted and decorate Nutcracker.

I couldn't decide if I should open my Christmas present early or not. I really wanted to save it for Christmas. But, I also really wanted to enjoy it now before Christmas. I opened it and I'm glad I did. I love it and I will remember every year when he takes his place of honor how special the Loving Family is to me.

He of course gets a home separate from his mass produced counterparts....his place of honor is on the mantle. The other soilders all guard the door.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Love it! I will have to show Tommy. He loves Nutcrackers and is starting to collect them!