Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Old Fashioned Crafts




I never thought I'd be referring to something from MY childhood as "old fashioned". Really?! Have I gotten to that age?

These days everything is sold as a kit for the busy parents. My kids have tried nearly every crafting kit known to any child. We even have a crafting area designated for crafting kits. Amazing how times have changed.

Crafting kits however require you to go out into the masses to buy the kits or they require long lag times as you wait for an ordered kit to ship to your doorstep.

Needing the instant gratification AND not wanting a huge hit to my pocketbook I thought about a holiday craft that I once enjoyed as a kid.

Salt dough ornaments.
flour
salt
water
shape
bake
paint

EASY!

The other day the kids and I set out to make some wonderful creations from scratch without a kit.

Hint...do not bake your salt dough ornaments and your sugar cookie cutouts in the same morning. A drastic mix up may occur.

After the ornaments were sufficiently hardened we spent the morning yesterday painting our ornaments. The kids really had fun and learned how to think outside of the craft kit box.

We proudly gave away a few ornaments as a last minute gift. We hung the rest from the stairway garland.
And the best news...my kids didn't watch TV all morning and the cost of the craft...free! Priceless.

No comments: