Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Bake Off







7 dozen cookies. 2 dozen marshmallow reindeer's. 2 loaves of gingerbread. 4 happy kids. 6 hours of baking. 1 tired mom.

Every year I say it-I am not a baker. I cannot bake. I don't like to bake. But, every year Sophia convinces me to bake some holiday treats. Wednesday, amidst some other running around we were doing we baked our hearts out.

Sophia got us started bright and early with some sugar cookie dough from scratch. Isabella bought some premade gingerbread dough and was determined to make cute gingerbread cookie people (if you come to my house and the kids offer you a cookie...I recommend you pass on these. The gingerbread dough is not sweet and slightly bitter and the royal icing frosting contains raw egg whites. These cookies are merely decoration.). Ava and Quentin took turns and each helped make a loaf of gingerbread for the gingerbread trifle we're assembling on Christmas Eve and they made some break and bake Toll House Holiday Chocolate Chip cookies. The decorating was fun...sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles and some that were done thumbprint style with a mini York Peppermint Patty piece in the center. After the oven was turned off and the kitchen cleaned we set up our marshmallow reindeer assembly line.

WOW! Enjoy the picture of those because the Ubaydi's will never make those adorable little guys again. First of all the stuff you need to buy to make them was expensive and each reindeer costs roughly $2.00. Second of all they are messy and require small detail work. The kids helped with the chocolate dipping but after that I ended up having to do all the work.

After all that work I wouldn't let the kids eat any of their treats....I know, sooo mean. But I wanted to be able to save some for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I'm still sweeping up sprinkles over here....

Happy holidays!

No comments: