


I was searching for a summertime 10K a few weeks ago. Jennifer found one for me in LA. It included a 5K race as well, so she got a group together and 8 of us ran the races this morning. http://www.keeplarunning.com/ 6 friends ran the 5K (Jennifer, Nate, Dee Dee, Tony, Jeannie and Anette). 2 of us ran the 10K (Amanda and Me).
It was supposed to be 69 and chilly this morning on the beaches of Dockweiler State Beach. http://beaches.co.la.ca.us/BandH/Beaches/DockweilerPhoto.htm It was NOT! It was very sunny and blazing hot by the time the races started (late).
It was a tough 10K. I have discovered that getting up at 4:20am and then running at 8:30am isn't something I can adjust to very easily. Also, it was a big race with 516 runners in the 10K. Many of the LA runners are fast and have run competitively for years. Their finish times are crazy.
I also discovered that I need to start with people of my pace or slightly faster than me. Amanda and I ended up in the back of the pack at the starting line and it was hard to clear the crowd of people and establish a good pace. Amanda and I both agreed that the long, flat road course felt a lot longer than 6.2 miles. We also smiled in that because we practice on the hills of Greer Ranch we were better prepared for a few inclines and declines in the end of the race that gave us a little bit of an advantage over the flat runners of LA.
Official Results:
1:00:15:8
9:43/mile pace
304th place overall out of 516 runners
106th place out of female runners
15th out of 45 females aged 35-39.

No comments:
Post a Comment