Let me start this by saying I am a big fan of the court system. I used to want to be a lawyer and I love hearing two sides of any argument. I do consider it to be my civic duty to serve on a jury. I have been an alternate on a murder trial before and I was bummed I had to sit through the whole thing and then didn't get to deliberate.
However, since moving to Southern California 4 years ago I have been called for jury duty 3 times now (at least, maybe 4). The first time I was on strict bedrest orders from my OB while I was pregnant with Quentin. I wanted to serve but the doctor said no way. So, I received a medical excuse. The second time Quentin was an infant who was exclusively breastfed so again I got a deferment. I may have also received one other deferment because of being the sole caretaker for 4 kids (one under 3 years old). Last week I received yet another summons for Jury Duty.
Now seriously, I DO want to serve. But, I can't possibly serve during the summer months. All 4 kids are at home. We've committed to soccer camp, VBS and swim lessons and I'm leaving in 10 days for Chicago. Of course, the week that I am scheduled to serve is July 20th. Isabella has club soccer camp, Ava has swim lessons and I am leaving that Thursday for Chicago. So, I sent out yet another request to be excused.
This morning I received notice that my excuse was denied. WHAT?! Apparently, they have childcare at the courthouse now. OK, well, childcare is all fine and good except childcare cannot physically bring my children where they need to be during the day.
So, I wrote what I thought was a polite email explaining that childcare wasn't going to help my situation because if my children didn't attend the camps they have signed up for I loose the money I paid for the camps (honestly, why create a financial burdon for the juror...isn't that one of their rules).
Here's my email.
Hello,
I recently received a summons for Jury duty for the Murrieta location. I requested to be excused due to obligations to my children. My husband travels for work and I have 4 children (ages 8, 7, 5 and 3) and no family in the area. My children have committed to summer camps the week I am called to serve Jury duty (July 20, 2009). I understand you have childcare facilities at the courthouse however, I will lose a significant amount of money in camp fees and swim lesson fees if my children miss these activities. I would appreciate any consideration you can give to my situation.
Thanks
The reply:
Good morning, I cannot excuse you because of all the summer activities your children are enrolled in, but I can postpone you for up to 90 days if you'll let me know what week is good for you.
I got what I consider a somewhat snotty reply. I really feel like there's just one line in this response that is uncalled for. I am doing what I can to raise responsible citizens for our future and I did say it was about the money involved in having already paid for the camps that are non-refundable. I didn't say it was because "of all the summer activities my children are enrolled in". I can manage my schedule just fine without the judicial systems help.
Things are working out and the jury master is letting me pick my week sometime in the next 90 days that I can actually serve. The only problem is if I pick the week for the next one I have to be available. I cannot get another postponement. So, GOD forbid that anything come up at home. Somehow this is feeling like a burdon on me when it's not supossed to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
GRRR!!!!
Are you gonna do that? Or are you gonna cancel yoru trip with us :-(
I'll come pretend to be you and serve for a week ;-)
That sucks Steph, I hate jury duty, you are being very nice about about this whole thing. Hope it works out for you.
Post a Comment