Sunday, March 8, 2009

Scientific Sunday


Every Spring we like to observe various insects and plants. Last week I ordered our ladybug and butterfly larvae and our harvester ants. I also bought our seeds for flower pots and a mini veggie garden.


Today we set up our observation station in the kitchen. Every morning the kids inspect the growth and report changes and observations. It is so cute watching them get excited about the insects and the plants.
The butterflies are already almost in their cocoons and lady bugs don't quite look like lady bugs yet. The ants were large and in charge when I put them in the habitat this morning. I had to kill 2 of them that tried to escape before I got the lid on. They were scary and looked like the sting would hurt. I felt slightly bad about killing part of our science experiments but....eeeks.


1 comment:

Liz said...

Don't feel bad about that. No one should be allowed to harm the family, not even an ant. You are a brave woman inviting those bugs in your house. I need to take lessons from you on bravery.