


Today was a beautiful day. A sunny 75 degree day in Murrieta. I went to the gym and did my usual workout concentrating on interval running (sprints) and a good leg, low back workout. I left feel slightly disappointed that I had only run 1.75 miles today and hadn't put a real effort in because my calf was hurting a bit.
On the drive home through the neighborhood I decided to just go ahead and open it up on the real road and see what I could do in the real world. Maybe the treadmill wasn't cutting it anymore. I am after all training for the 10K through the rolling hills of wine country and that thought scares me a bit based on the calf problems.
I got home, left my gear on and asked Rami (and Q in the stroller) to follow me with the camera. 2.5 miles on hilly terrain (but not rugged). I have discovered a few things about the differences in my outdoor run versus my treadmill run.
1. Sunshine is great!
2. Wind helps you focus and drown out noise.
3. Wind also slows you down, especially when you're in an uphill climb. Wind is your friend when it's to your back.
4. I can't carry my water bottle and run. Q was my water boy and every time I passed him he'd pass me a drink.
5. Bugs are gross when you run with your mouth open.
6. My pace was faster than my normal treadmill run. I actually shaved off 1:30 from my first mile time. Crazy! My normal fast pace is a 10 minute mile.
7. My heart rate was maxed out at 181 for almost the whole run. My normal treadmill rate is 150-171.
8. I completed the whole 2.5 miles in 24 minutes and I felt like I could have kept going another 2.5 miles at least (that's great...that means I know I CAN do the 10K after all)
A couple notes for my big run. Number 1, I will not attempt to run 6.2 miles after I've already run and lifted weights for the day. But, for today...it was OK. Number 2, I will not do a major ab workout the day before the big run (yesterday I killed the abs and today they were cramping during the run). Number 3, I will eat better the day before and the morning of the big run.
Now, all my dear running/workout friends...here's where I need your help. The big run is on May 9th. I have 6 weeks to continue improving my performance. I'd like to complete the big run in an hour. What kind of training schedule should I be running? I currently run about 13 to 15 miles a week (3.1 miles, 5 miles, 6.2 miles and sometimes a speed round of a 1.5 mile subbed in or added in)
Intervals concentrating on speed? Longer endurance runs working on pace and increased HR? Remember that I have to do most of my weekly training in the gym because I need childcare for Q. I can probably manage at least one outdoor run a week. I'm open to all suggestions!

No comments:
Post a Comment