I know this is God's way of paying me back for being a difficult teenager. Isabella is giving me gray hairs by the hour. She tortures me by making me out think, outsmart and out whit her. It's like it's her own version of Survivor. Who will outlast?
The kids have been in school for almost a month now. It's been enough time that they truly aren't the new kids in class anymore, etc. They should have caught up with everyone on the materials by now and the testing is in full force. Isabella's grades on tests have been progressively going in the downhill direction now. I've threatened, cajoled, rewarded, and yelled until I just don't want to anymore. She has broken me down, worn me out. The only thing left in my corner is that I have the endurance she doesn't have.
Here is an actual conversation yesterday.
How'd you do on those tests you had last week Isabella?
Um, yeah, mom, about that.
What?
I didn't do very well. I got a 58% on one and a 50% on the other. But, the good news is if you add them together they equal 100%.
(Now, you're probably expecting that I flipped my lid right?) Well, I didn't. i stood there staring at her. Sometimes when I don't say anything for a few moments and I stare at her she gets more scared and wishes I would yell to ease her pain. But, I started! I stared long and hard. Then I said...
Go to your room, I don't want to see you right now.
After 20 minutes of stewing in her room I walked in to tell her that her task tomorrow at school was to speak with Mr. Filarecki to find out what it is that she can do to help herself. Is tutoring going to help? Is a parent conference going to help? What is the solution to this. When you are in 5th grade you have one JOB. That job is to go to school to get good grades. If you don't do your job what is your Boss (ME) going to do?
Isabella's reply....oh, so I should probably speak to him during detention then?
Well, Isabella don't interrupt other people's detention to talk to him.
Oh, I won't interrupt...I'm in detention tomorrow.
SAY WHAT?!?! Let me guess why you're in detention...talking during instruction?
Well, "I" wasn't doing anything.
Of course not. People, this is the injustice of 2 states and 2 schools now. Isabella Ubaydi doesn't ever DO anything to get into trouble in class. She is just sitting there and somehow her names gets written on the board.
Isabella, you know this is a problem. Please tell me this is your first detention with Mr. Filarecki?!
Um, well, this is the 3rd time I've been in detention in 3 weeks.
ACK!!!! I have to leave the room now because I can't listen anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment