
Well, not really. I'm a little concerned that he won't live through the first 24 hours. He's not very swimmerly.
Last year our friends The Lovings won a goldfish at the school carnival in October. Cowboy is still alive a year later. He's a goldfish in a bowl of water with nothing else. As low maintenance as it gets really. We fishsat Cowboy, Cow for short, last Spring. The kids really enjoyed having a fish. Q wanted a cowboy fish all for himself for his next birthday he declared.
Well, then we moved and had to give Latte away (our Guinea Pig). A fish surely couldn't transport across the country. I told the kids we'd buy a fish once we settled.
So, yesterday, we were running errands near a pet store. I told Q I had a surprise for him. We finished our errands and had time to stop in. We got a bowl, water conditioner, fish food and one $1.49 gold fish. The sales girl tried to discourage us from buying one goldfish and a bowl. She claimed a goldfish would never survive long in just a bowl. Huh? Had she not heard of the legendary goldfish named Cowboy?
I said, nope, we'll be just fine. I mean seriously...Dr. Suess believed in a gold fish in a bowl (hello, Cat in The Hat) and there are many iconic photos of a child peeking into a glass bowl of water with one goldfish happily swimming around.
Q was excited beyond belief and exclaimed Cowboy would be our fishes name too. I encouraged a new name and mentioned it was Halloween time and the fish was orange...maybe Spookley? "Evil" Q stated. Oh geez....now we cannot have a goldfish named "Evil"...that's just, well, Evil. I told Q the story of Evel Kinevel. A stunt man who did extraordinary stunts on a motorcycle a true American superstar.
Meet, Evel Kinevel, the daredevil stunt fish. The girls are going to rig up a rubber bracelet hoop inside the bowl so that Evel Kinevel can practice his stunts through the hoop and over the hoop. Um, that is IF he lives through the first day.....

No comments:
Post a Comment