



I was laying in a hospital bed trying to stop labor. My second baby girl was not due until sometime after Valentines Day and here I was in full blown labor at the hospital. Alone. Alone because Rami had to stay home to take care of Isabella, who was only 18 months old. I had been in the hospital since approximately 2pm on January 9th. I waited too long to get to the hospital after starting contractions on January 8th. Now, I was throwing my guts up from the Magnesium Sulfate and all alone in the Maternal Special Care Unit. Around midnight I threw up and my water broke simultaneously. Now, we got to turn the Mag off but had to wait until 7am (dilated to 5) to see what happens. I did get an epidural and tried to remain positive...it would be my baby girls birthday on January 10th. At 7am they switched everything to Pitocin and we were back in labor. I predicted Sophia would be born at 6pm and I was correct. We delivered in an operating room with NICU team on hand. The doctor had a student by his side. After 3 pushes the doctor said..."hmmm, there's a true knot in the cord and it's wrapped around twice". "WOW!" Sophia Johanna Ubaydi was born but did not cry instantly. They whisked her over to the NICU team who worked patiently on her. Rami and I were so excited we didn't realize that Sophia wasn't as colorful as she should have been. She was a little on the blue or some say purple side. But, the nurses perked her up in no time. When the placenta was delivered they noted that it was grade 3...which is unusual for being almost 6 weeks early. We all believe that this baby knew it was time to come out and be a part of this world...no matter what we thought was best for her.
She has proven over the last 7 years that she is stubborn and determined to do things her way. She is truly a bright and wonderful child. We are so lucky to have her. I thank God for her everyday.
She has proven over the last 7 years that she is stubborn and determined to do things her way. She is truly a bright and wonderful child. We are so lucky to have her. I thank God for her everyday.

2 comments:
AWW! That made me a little teary. Sounds like you have a fighter on your hands.
Stephanie, I don't think I knew that whole story! Whew, that was pretty scary. What a beautiful little girl!
Post a Comment