Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I will save money....

I read this article today that says I will be healthier in the future because I will eat less because costs to make junk food are skyrocketing. That fits perfectly with my weight loss challenge this summer.

http://www.livescience.com/health/080723-eat-less.html

Unfortunately, I also read an article today that said the Middle Class is being pinched by the current "perfect storm" of corporate wage freezes and cut backs, rising fuel costs to get to said job, rising childcare costs associated with taking care of your children so you can go to the low paying job and rising food costs. The article said the average American family is putting less on the table not because they're worried about watching their weight...but more likely about trying to keep the roof over their heads (literally). It said...it's about more than cutting back on a few lattes. I have to agree to that. I cut my lattes out about 6 months ago and that money goes straight in my tank these days. I fill my car up with 15 happy meals every time I'm at the pump.

Of course, I live in one of those McMansions nobody can afford in California and it sucks the money down the pit of lost equity faster and faster each month. It's like the end of the vortex of the bathtub drain. You know when it starts gurgling? For every 3 foreclosed properties that sell on my street (a street of 45 houses where 15 are in foreclosure at any given time over the last year) another 3 get a "bank owned" sign the very next day. The few of us original homeowners left are huddled together watching our savings go right down the drain while we pray that the sunshine, good education and jobs hold us through this horrendous market.

We do all this while our city leaders have decided it's in our best interest to build a Super Target within a half mile....not mentioning the fact that we have a regular Target 4 miles away and another Super Target 5 miles away (the only other one in Southern California). Brilliant city planning has made this town a bust and we're just hoping to survive the economic impact that has been 10 years in the making here.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

but if the super target is right next door think of all the money you'll save on gas from not driving to the other target 4 miles away! LOL

I've totally have had to cut back and I'm a single person. My groceries that used to cost me $50 now cost me $70...and I'm buying the same stuff (creature of habit.)