Thursday, March 4, 2010

I graduated


90 days.


It takes 90 days for a stress fracture to heal completely.


3 months, 3 times a week, sometimes up to 2 hours per visit.


That's how much Physical Therapy you have to do if you break 4 bones (3 stress fractures and 1 avulsion fracture) and tear a tendon!


It's over, today was my last day.


I'm not 100% yet, but I'm 90% and I know what I need to do on my own to restrengthen my legs.


I started running again 2 weeks ago. Slow at first and not very far. Then this past Tuesday I ran just for fun. It didn't hurt. I started off slowly and built up for the second mile. Before I knew it I was at 3.5 miles and still no pain. I could have gone further at that speed but I didn't want to risk it too much for the first longer run. Yesterday, my calf was sore...but more like an "oh, you worked me out" kinda sore. Today, it was back to normal. I ran another mile today...but really really slowly.


I have discovered only a couple things I still haven't regained. The ability to wear flip flops. No stability at all and no support. I wore some yesterday for a couple hours and I was ready to go home and put my running shoes back on. I also can't do squats yet. I can do them, just not at the level I was doing them at. Everything I worked on last summer in the boot-ay workout had atrophied. It actually is worse off in the hips, knees and quads then it had been prior to even starting that workout last summer. So, building my muscles back up to the level they were is going to take work. By this summer I should be back where I was at the end of last summer.


My number one goal....running the Lake Elsinore Memorial day 10K on May 31st this year. I have 12 weeks to train. I won't be doing speed training at all for this 12 weeks. Mostly just strength and endurance. I think my speed training was too brutal last Fall. Last year I set a personal record of 58 minutes for the Lake Elsinore 10K. It was a great, flat, out and back course. Perfect for beginning my 2010 race season. I'm looking forward to running it again this year.
90 days...to train.

No comments: