I knew it! I knew the whole reason the doctor proposed that HE keep my MRI in his special dark room was because he wanted to show other doctors. I imagine that they pass these around at holiday parties (like some sadistic party ice breaker game...name that ailment).
Today, Dr. Espinoza said that I basically had a "complete mechanical failure". After reviewing the MRI findings with his colleagues they are all quite impressed with my tolerance for pain and my ability to ignore pain for literally....years! I really think I deserve an award or something here. He stated that they all agreed that just ONE of the EIGHT findings from the MRI was enough to warrant some intense PT and rest. And, here I sit 6 weeks later with 8 major findings.
So, basically he's telling me that no matter how feisty (yes, I was described as feisty today) I get the simple fact is that we are going to move very slowly here. I don't do slow. I'm going to learn some patience here.
I brought my left shoe today to the appointment. My plan was to sell him on my idea of wrapping the foot and ankle in an ace bandage and using my air splint and a shoe. He rolled his eyes almost immediately and by the time I got to shoe he snapped "no!". hpmph. Dang it...I miss my left shoe. I haven't worn a shoe on the left for 6 weeks now. He actually laughed when he saw I had my left shoe with me.
Apparently, the first 6 weeks (which I just completed) is the acute phase and it's all about protecting the injuries. The next 6 weeks are for the real rehab but I'm still required to wear the boot and be non-weight bearing as much as possible.
Then, that is followed by another 2-4 weeks of retraining my foot how to walk normally. Then I get fitted for the custom orthotics that I will have to wear.
So the plan is: another recheck in 2 weeks. He'll do an xray at that point. I will continue physical therapy 3 times a week (2 hours a day). It's possible, but not likely in his opinion that after the xray he'll let me remove the boot. However, that is only IF I can develop some side to side range of motion in the next 2 weeks...currently I can only flex down to push in a forward motion. I have no backwards or side to side movement when walking in the weightless atmosphere of the therapy pool.
Most likely I will remain in the boot and in therapy for another 4 -6 weeks after my next appointment (so now we're looking at the end of March). After I get the boot off I'll still have to go to therapy to reteach my left foot to walk normally. I can possibly run again in April-May at the earliest (I really want to do the Lake Elsinore Memorial Day run again).
So basically....I'm going to qualify for a special parking spot at therapy and a plaque on the wall when I'm all done. When he's completely satisfied with my progress he'll redo the MRI to recheck things and make sure that I'm not ignoring pain again.
I hope I get a t-shirt at least ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You kill me... because in this situation... really... all we can say is "Only You!" And you know that right?!
Ugh... I want this to be all over for ya lady. You know that. As soon as you have that award, we shall meet in Vegas and toast to having your shoe back. It will be lovely :)
Post a Comment