

This weekend was the first of three weekends for State Cup Soccer. Any team that played in any Cal South Soccer association sanctioned league is eligible to play the state cup. This weekend we started with 5 teams in our bracket and 30 teams in our age division. We played 3 games over 2 days and we'll play one more bracket game next Saturday morning. The top two winners of the bracket and 2 wild cards will play next Saturday afternoon for a quarter-finalist. Then the weekend of Feb 20th the semi finalists will all go to Lancaster to determine the state cup winners.
This is the final tournament of the season. Isabella has just about completed her first Club Soccer season. Interestingly, she's FINALLY settled down and started playing the way we know she can. Funny how it takes her so long to become part of the team that the season is almost over and then there's a chance that the teams will change for the next season that starts in March.
The games this weekend were intense. Some of the best soccer I've seen from our team in 10 months. The entire team worked hard and really brought it together. I was impressed. The first game yesterday morning was a 2-0 shut out. With both goals being scored early on in the first quarter.
Yesterday afternoon it was a 1-1 tie until the final minute of the game. Isabella is a defender. So, when I tell you that she scored a goal from her defensive position you should know that that was an amazing thing for a 9 year old. It was so beautiful to watch. She did it on purpose...not an accidental goal mind you (yes, I asked her). She brought every bit of power she had in that left foot and drove that ball all the way into the net. I've been told that strangers stopped to stare in awe. I took this picture just as she was setting up. After she made contact I literally froze. I dropped the camera and forgot to take pictures...I wanted to see it with my very own eyes. The screams that erupted from the sidelines were huge! I started to cry I was so proud. 30 seconds later the referee blew the whistle and Rami charged the field. He picked Isabella up and swung her around (not normally something that is condoned during a club soccer game...but holy cow)! Isabella deserved it.
She used to play forward in the recreational league. She was a big goal scorer. But, in club she's had to learn how to play defense. She misses the glory of scoring a goal. That goal yesterday really motivated her and put a huge, unending smile on her face. It really made up for a mistake she made is the first half of the game. She was distraught with herself over clearing the ball across the net and setting up the other team on their goal. She's tough on herself...she knows that's a rookie mistake.
Take a look at that picture. The net is off to the right of the frame. Isabella is pointing to it with her hand...not on purpose. But, she's reminiscent of Babe Ruth, calling his home runs. That hand enabled her body to bring the full torque all the way around and nail that goal.
This morning she was proud as can be to represent the team as a Captain in today's game. And, I think I saw at least 4 attempts on goal by her teammates this morning to make that very same long goal shot...what a motivator. The girls played an awesome game today. They ended up losing 0-1 but they had at least 10 shots on goal and a few that went off the posts or over the net. Impressive action and nobody gave up even to the end. Because they all learned yesterday...even in the last minute of play as long as the ball is on the ground even a defender can place a strike on the ball that can tie up or win a game.
These girls are champions. The are currently second place in their bracket. The first place team is done this weekend. We have one game next Saturday to see if we advance and as long as we win next Saturday we should.

No comments:
Post a Comment