Monday, December 14, 2009

Left acute peroneus muscle and tendon strain

I had my one week check up at the sports medicine clinic. I am making progress, slowly but surely. It's been 8 days since my injury and today I can bear most of my weight on my walking boot using my crutches for support. The doctor cleared me to bear weight until I couldn't tolerate it and then continue with the rest, ice, and elevation. I still have to wear my boot 24 hours a day, but she also gave me a smaller airsoft splint to try while I am sleeping (the boot is very awkward to sleep in).

I have an order to start physical therapy 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks. If I'm not significantly improved by next Monday then she will order an MRI. She expects that in 2 weeks from today I should be ready to come out of the boot and rely on the airsoft splint.

I am cleared to start going to the gym again as soon as I am fully weight bearing on the boot only. But, I am to only workout from the waist up.

When I asked if I actually had ruptured the tendon she said I came as close as possible to a full rupture. She displayed it visually by interlacing her fingers and showing that the fibers are generally tight (fingers fully laced) and that in my situation the fibers had frayed and pulled apart so greatly that some strands were barely touching (only fingertips interlaced at some connection points).

If we do get an MRI, then that will determine whether I will need surgery or not. But, she did make it clear that the rehab on this injury would be at least 6 months before I am running competitively again. Unfortunately, I not have to sell my Carlsbad Half Marathon bib and wait to try again next year. I'm ok with no running but I need to at least be able to go to the gym and work out...I'm going CRAZY!

So, in 2 weeks we'll know more, but for now I'm off to rehab starting tomorrow.

No comments: