2 weeks ago I posted an entry titled It ain't broke....
http://livingintheubaydifamily.blogspot.com/2009/12/it-aint-broke.html
Well, 2 weeks later, it turns out it IS broken.
I went back for another follow up. After having significant pain during my 3 therapy sessions and not bearing full weight even after 2 weeks in the walking cast the doctor did another xray and I do have an avulsion fracture (meaning I tore a chunk of bone right off the main bone) in my cuboid bone (it's the outside of your foot just in front of your heal but below the metatarsals). If you recall this is the bone that the peroneal tendon wraps around and the doctor said I was lucky not to snap that bone off. well, I did! so, I guess I'm not really lucky after all.
These kinds of avulsion fractures are usually not something that occurs in isolation. Meaning that if I have a fracture here I likely have another fracture somewhere else...assuming tib/fib stress fracture. They just need to find it. So far the xray is pointing to the definite avulsion fracture and tendinitis of both the peroneous longus and the Achilles.
I may still be getting an MRI soon to find the stress fracture. But, for now I've been put in a soft fiberglass cast. It's all the making of a regular cast except it's help in place with bandages instead of a hard shell. This way I can unwrap it to apply ice to the swelling that is still significant.
It'll be at least another 4 weeks of treatment and a regular cast has not been ruled out yet. Nor has surgery been completely ruled out. But, for the next week I am in this soft cast and completely non weight bearing. Without the boot on I weigh 5 pounds less but I cannot even set my toe down to rest it when I'm standing. I guess that's one way to keep me non weight bearing.
Ironically, this is an injury ballet dancers get and it is often referred to as a Nutcracker fracture...fitting ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment