Sunday, October 11, 2009

Scarecrow Making






















My scarecrow passed away last year. Too many Southern California Fall's had gotten to him. He was water logged, faded and broken. It was time for him to be given a proper burial. This year when the first of October came around I went on a hunt for a new scarecrow and I was shocked that many retailers had only scary electronic witches and no good old fashioned scarecrows for Fall. AND, to add insult to injury...they had virtually passed up the Halloween/Fall sections and had moved on to putting up Christmas decorations. WHAT?!?!


So, I decided that this year we'd make our own scarecrows. And, we wouldn't just make one...we'd make 4. One for each child. I headed off to the thrift store and purchased clothing for our scarecrows. $10 per scarecrow and a family art activity! This is something that is RIGHT up my alley. I live for these projects. Soooo, much fun!


This afternoon we made our scarecrows. Each kid got to design the wardrobe from what I had picked at the thrift store and then they got to make the faces they wanted from my scraps of fabric.


I had hoped that we'd be able to save these guys for the next few years, but I have a feeling that real scarecrows don't last very long. But, man it sure was cute to make them ourselves.


Happy Fall Y'all!

1 comment:

Ams said...

Stephanie I want to be a part of your family :)
Love the scarecrows!!

I left you a little treat on my blog btw :)