OK, the over 100 degree temperatures are almost gone. The mornings are cloudy and cool...it's race season in Southern California.
I ran a community 10K in Temecula this morning. I was thinking this would be a nice run to get into the season. I've booked a race a month for the next 4 months all culminating in a launch to 2010 that includes 3 half marathons (the Triple Crown).
My right calf has been bothering me intermittently since Spring. Just when I recover, as soon as I increase miles again, the calf goes out on me. I think it's just something I'm going to have to get used to and train appropriately with it. I'm working on continued strengthening of the muscle, plyometrics for the knees, ankles and hips and I stretch before every run.
Today I ran alone, no friends to run with, no fan club (hence no pictures). Just me and my ipod and 375 other 5K and 10K runners. The course was a loop. Everyone starts together and the 10Kers keep going when the 5Kers are finished and pulling in. There were 2 adult running clubs there and one kids running club there. I know when I see the Redliners it's going to be a tough race.
Holy hills! The first mile of the race was almost straight uphill, an 8% grade incline. Chug chug, over the hill...expecting a great decline on the backside only to find the first turn and ANOTHER hill. The second hill was a steep 18% incline. Holy heck-we haven't even gone 2 miles yet. At the mile and a half mark we enjoyed a few sips from the only water station as we bottomed out of the decline on that steep hill. My hill strategy is one I developed out of necessity. If pace is at 11 minute miles on the way up, then open up all gears on the way down and fly baby fly! I love under 7 minute miles on the way down. But, brace yourself, open that stride and lean back or else you're going to be impacting hips, knees and shins too hard.
The next quarter of the race was between 8% and 12% uphill grades with a final 15% hill at the finishline (well, the finish for the 5Kers...I still had to conquer those beasts one more time). I was boogieing along at just under 30 minutes for the 5K and then the crowd all veered right as the 10Kers ran on. The last loop was a little lonely. One runner in eyesight ahead of me, and at least 2 behind me (only reason I knew that is because they were the last people I passed).
My pace slowed down a little bit and fatigue was setting in. I can do this, I can run this, I will do this. Chug-a-chugga.....
My goal time was 58 minutes and after the halfway point I knew I had missed that. I still had 1 hour as my goal. I ended up finishing in 1:02:13. Not shabby for the first race of the season, but not my goal either. At the finish line I stopped for the guy to take my bib number and he said, "are you the last one?". HAHAHA!!!! Dude, did I just run 6.2 miles in just at 62 minutes and you wonder if I'm the last one? I stuttered through heaving breaths..."I better not be" "geez, there better be at least a few more behind me or maybe even 500 (a girl can hope huh)."
Final Stats:
7th place out of 11 in my gender/age category (Females 30-39)
48th place out of 62 runner for the 10K
Next race on deck. The Susan G Koman, Inland Empire Race for the Cure! Nothing like a few thousand women running together to motivate you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment