Thursday, August 20, 2009

They're HERE....

The hormones are coming, the hormones are coming.

And so it begins. It has been confirmed that yes, indeed Isabella has officially entered that dreaded phase...puberty. Even the word sounds gross to me. I've denied that it could happen. I've refused to think about it. I "shhh'd" anyone who dared bring this subject up in my presence. Having 3 girls close in age you would have thought I'd have spent time preparing myself for this. I swore I had time. I buried my head firmly in the sand on this issue. Even when I caught glimpses of this little imp called puberty I quickly turned away. Ignorance is bliss. Go away...she plays soccer, she plays basketball, she's athletic, all the things they say delay the onset of hormones.

However, I could not deny it this summer when I noticed my easy going non-emotional girl becoming emotional. Crying that she was just so frustrated she could CRY! And cry she did. She resorted to spending time in her room alone away from her horrific siblings who caused her so much angst. She cried. She never cries...even as a baby this girl did not cry. Always a smile on her face.

I knew it was coming...but I still thought I had time. Then 2 weeks ago (just before her 9th birthday) she told me about a bone in her chest and how it hurt. Oh geez...now my mom alarms are going off. Visions of 6th grade danced in my head. Bus rides with Bobby Sweeny and tube tops being ripped off by Anthony Manfredi on the playground at St. Lucie Elementary School. ARGH! Why must this thing called puberty haunt us so. Mother's can't talk about this with their daughters because of the pain of their own adolescent years. Still...I tried to ignore it. She's just turning 9 and she's just going in to 4th grade. Isn't this stuff hereditary. I have plenty of time. Years even....

Until, I looked at the calendar and saw her 9 year check up coming soon. Now, I give my girls a reasonable amount of privacy. They shower and care for themselves, no one needs anything wiped anymore, everyone dresses themselves. I enjoy not doing it for them and they enjoy being in control. It's a win-win for everyone right? Well, it can also be a drawback. You don't notice little things about them and the thing I've learned about 3 sisters is...they know things and they are in a secret club and Mom is not in that club. But, apparently Auntie Jen is in the club or at least granted limited backstage passes.

I noticed some changes in Isabella's body when she was changing while we were back to school clothes shopping. You know, those sideways glances while everyone is stuffed into one dressing room? I didn't say anything, just filed it away. After all...I still have time. Years in fact....

Back to the day of the check up. Yesterday, I decide that I probably should start thinking about what developmental levels a 9 year old should be on. What is developmentally appropriate. It's like cramming for a pop quiz and you want to be prepared at the pediatricians office. So, I start thinking about all those little things I've locked up. It starts to dawn on me. The pieces of the puzzle start coming together. The clouds part and I realize..oh SHIT!

Quick...to the internet, google...what's that word, what do they call it...oh yes, puberty (that gross word). EEEEKKKKSSS!!!!! NOOOOOOO! I scream silently and throw my head down on the computer keyboard. Ages 9-12. There it is in black and white. Well, I've still got a 3 year window, there's still time. Years in fact....

Google again...lump under nipple in 9 year old girl. ARGH! Crap! Yep, it's boobies. Sigh....once the first lump starts to bud you have 2 years until menstruation. Oh man, that's what Wiki said. The gospel according to Wikipedia. Sigh.

2 years! Puberty! Boobie lumps! Time to buy a book (or two). I need a book. I was a girl in a family of boys. What the heck do I know about puberty? It happened and I ignored it...end of story. Oh, and it royally sucked big time and I hated everyone!

With Auntie Jen's help (the closest thing to a sister that a girl can have, especially since she's technically my "brother") I gathered a list of books at Barnes & Noble. The Care and Keeping of You. The Feelings Book and the Girls Body Book. First sentence...There are bumps where things used to be flat, and hair where things used to be smooth. They don't use the word "puberty" until page 3. Ok, maybe this won't be so bad right. I can do this. After all, I am responsible for raising 3 healthy, beautiful girls and one dude. Dad is totally going to be in charge of the dude talk. I am soooo not going there.

Isabella had her check up yesterday. She requested that her siblings not be in the room while she discussed her most private matters with the doctor. The nurse escorted the little heathens out of the room, which made Isabella smile that she had such control over them. Sophia rolled her eyes and mumbled under her breath that she knew what was going on and that she certainly didn't think she should be sent from the room.

We told the doctor that there is at least one boobie lump. And, the doctor stated matter of factly to me that we have 2 years. Yes, Wiki was right. That Isabella HAS NOT reached her growth spurt yet (my God she wears a woman's size 6 shoe and still no grow spurt) and that looking at her chart she estimates that she will be between 5'9 and 5'10 in height when she's fully grown (she smiled and said just like mom). Isabella was grossed out beyond belief to think that the lump she thought was a bone was actually boobs. She looked at me and exclaimed "those things are ugly"! LOL! She has already informed me that she does not plan to ever have babies and that Sophia has already graciously agreed to have one extra baby and give it to her. Well, thankfully, I now know that I will not have to give the sex part of this talk for quite some time and apparently I'll only have to give it to Sophia. ;-) Isabella asked if she could actually wear deodorant now (like those 3rd grade teachers mentioned 6 months ago) and the doctor said yes, it's a good idea now. And then in true Isabella fashion she took it one step further and asked if she could shave too. Absolutely NOT! No shaving until middle school.

I rolled my eyes, sighed, and informed the doctor that I was not ready for any of this and that really I should be because now I'm going to get blasted for the next 5 years by all 3 of these girls at once. The doctor laughed and said, "the mom's are never ready".

Please excuse me while I go bury my head back in the sand, wake me in 2 years when I have to give part two of this talk.

2 comments:

Lori said...

oh man Stephanie....I'm glad it's you, not me, going through this now!! When you are done going through the puberty stuff with your girls, please send the books my way :)

Rebecca said...

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!!!
Call me anytime girl!

She is not quite old enough yet, but this was a great book (after being horrified by the pictures, but they are informative!)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Period-Book/Karen-Gravelle/e/9780802777362/?itm=1

A good one to hold onto for later years!