Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mini-Vacation for our 15 year anniversary











This past Christmas Jennifer made the errr, "mistake" of giving me a coupon good for one night of babysitting services. With our 15 year anniversary approaching we decided to cash in some Hyatt points and stay at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach, CA for one night. Poor Auntie Jen could not believe that her evening of babysitting had just turned in to a weekend of babysitting. Ooops. Thanks Jennifer, you're such an amazing friend and a good sport for doing this for us. You survived 24 hours and lived to tell about it.








So, we left for Huntington Beach Saturday morning. Determined to have a relaxing time and do some fun things. When we arrived we walked down to Main Street and immediately bought souvenirs for the kids (official Huntington Beach surf hoodies). We checked out the Surfer Walk of Fame.








For those who don't know the major surf competition is held yearly in Huntington Beach, which is considered "Surf City" and where the song by Jan & Dean in the 60s was inspired. The surf competition was held 2 weeks ago and they said the waves were huge.








So, on with my tale. We decided to eat lunch at a burger shack called TK Burgers. Awesome burgers and great atmosphere. I love local places like this.








We walked back tot he Hyatt and checked in for our spa treatments. 1 hour in the spa grotto, 40 minutes in the steam baths, saunas and mineral baths and a 1 hour couples massage. I think I was actually drooling when the massage was over. Man, they do a great job of working out the kinks that you don't even know are there.








When we got back to the room we had a bottle of Chardonnay waiting for us on ice and and a tray of cheese, crackers and grapes. We enjoyed some time relaxing on the patio sipping wine and watching one of the 5 weddings we saw that day.








We got dressed for dinner and headed out for our private beach bonfire we had scheduled. Wow, no work and lots of enjoyment. What a fun time sitting with our fire and smores and watching the sunset on a beautiful afternoon. After the sun set, in true California fashion it got cold. No matter how close you sat next to the fire it was chilly. So, we headed out to a late dinner.








We ate diner at Duke's restaurant which is situated right on the water at the base of the pier. The pier is known as the largest municipal structure and is almost 1/3 of a mile long and made of concrete.








After dinner at Duke's we debated partying on Main Street or heading back to the hotel for rest. We had big plans at 7:45am.








We got up at 7am and had coffee and breakfast on the patio. Watching the wave crash over the beach shore. We had surf lessons at 8am. I was watching the waves thinking those aren't so bad, I can handle those.








We show up for our wetsuits and surf boards at 7:45am. At which point our instructor Wyatt informs us that we won't be surfing at the beach by the Hyatt because the waves are too small. We headed 10 miles north on The Pacific Coast Highway.








The waves are much bigger here. YIKES! We get a 5 minute lesson on sand telling us the mechanics of how to stand up on your surf board. And, then we're in the water. Um, Wyatt...maybe now is the time for me to mention I have a fear of waves and water. I haven't swam in salt water in over 15 years and I'm not really even a good swimmer (but, shhhh, don't tell my kids). During our sand session Wyatt said that I was "regular footed" and Rami was "goofy footed" *chuckle*








We surfed for 2 hours. Rami and I both got thrashed one time each by some waves that tossed us and our boards around. Poor Wyatt had to save me 3 other times and I think he was panicked thinking I'd actually drown on his watch.








After the first hour I was able to judge the waves for myself, and I was kneeling on the board riding the waves. I was determined to get a foot on the board. A few waves later I had my front foot on the board but couldn't quite get the back foot planted. Soon enough I had the back foot planted but not the front. Okay...I KNOW I can do this. My legs are noodles at this point but if I can run 6.2 miles I know I can stand on this board. Rami was ready to go, he had gotten up on his knees a few times and was satisfied for now. I wanted one more set. I know I can do it and do it alone. Sooo...Wyatt was working with Rami in the deeper water and I was hanging out where the younger kids were learning how to surf. I saw a wave, I decided to do it. I hopped on the board, waited, paddled and then stood up. I DID it! I managed to stand and then realized I was on the shore and I jumped off in a foot of water. I had a huge smile. I ran up the beach to grab my towel and an older guy who had been watching shouted...you did it! You stood up! I was so proud, all I wanted to do was STAND up! Now, I can collapse in my happiness and take my noodle legs back to the hottub.








We thanked Wyatt, headed back to the hotel and relaxed in the hot tub. We left Huntington Beach with some great memories of surfing in Surf City. And we're home. Our kiddos were so happy to see us. Auntie Jen took great care of them. She's home safe and happy and we're relaxed and refreshed.








Hang Loose!

No comments: