Monday, June 15, 2009

Allergic Reaction-update

The pediatrician thinks Quentin's reaction was to tree nuts (specifically walnuts). He's on steroids right now to clear his system. In 2 weeks, once the steroids clear we can have his allergy panel redone. If he passes the food borne panel then he goes to see a specialist because this has progressively gotten worse over the last year and we have to know what triggers this. This past weekends episode is as close as you can get to Anaphylactic shock without actually going into Anaphylactic shock and they say the next time will be worse.

I was given a prescription for 3 epi pens to have with me at all times (one for preschool in the Fall, one for my purse and one for the car). I don't know if I am more freaked out about having to actually use this shot or about the nuts themselves. I preferred living in the world where this didn't exist and wasn't something I had to think about. I can control my kids, my house and my environment. But, how do I safeguard things at school, at restaurants and in public. I need to put my baby boy in his protective bubble. I hate that feeling.

I like being in control. I don't think I'll adjust to this anytime soon.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Poor Q! Poor Mom!That must be tough!
Good luck on the testing!

Liz said...

He will learn from a young age what he is allergic to, and he will let people know. It seems that our school experiences have been pretty good dealing with the tree nut allergies. I wish you luck.