

Our budding scientists participated in the school science fair. Can I just say...I'm happy that I no longer have to observe crystals growing in my kitchen and I'm not making sure I don't step on display boards when I walk through the house?
What an unnerving time science fair is. So many parents are so out of control...doing the projects for their kids. I usually feel that my only responsibility in these matters is to make sure that the kids choose a topic that they indeed can do themselves and that I get a list of supplies from them that won't cost me an arm and a leg to provide....after all, this isn't grant money.
After that...there's the kitchen, there's the computer, here's the construction paper. I'll take some pictures for you if you want and dole out reminders but honestly, this isn't my science fair. If i help one of you I have to help all of you and honestly...I'm not that much into it. I passed elementary school. :)
So, a few weeks ago I issued a deadline. Everybody must conduct experiments today. Last weekend, another deadline. Everyone must complete their display boards this weekend.
Wednesday night, I was in a quandary because all displays had to be set up in the school gym during a 90 minute window that was normally our window of opportunity to eat on wacky Wednesday between piano and soccer. Reinforcements had to be called in to split the duties.
The science fair was held at school Thursday morning with community judges. The girls were all pretty excited.
Isabella conducted an oil and water experiment called underwater fireworks. Basically, how long does it take one oil droplet to disperse in a jar of water. Then she tried to figure out what she could use to get that droplet of oil out of the water...mini oil spill. Her project was mandatory but the teacher didn't grade them. :-/ She had a partner, who basically only helped with the actual experiment and then never did anything else (because she was too busy) and then wasn't even in town for the fair so Isabella was left to present everything herself. I'd say a more valuable lesson was learned regarding the selection of your lab partner.
Sophia and Ava were not required to participate in the science fair. They wanted to do something and my only rule was that they had to be each other's partners. Sophia wanted to grow crystals, Ava wanted to make carbon dioxide. I told them to work it out. So, they decided to determine the effects of carbon dioxide ON crystals. Smart kids. They did a fabulous job working together...a few arguments but in the end they did a wonderful job. And, let me tell you...on science fair day they both quickly realized that lots of kids grew crystals, lots of kids mixed baking soda and vinegar in various ways but NOBODY merged those two experiments into one unique exhibit. They were also pretty unique in that they wore their "lab coats" to school.
In the end I was a bit disappointed in the school's handling of the "winners". 245 kids participated. The school stuffed 245 kids and their parents/families into half of the cafeteria and had a one hour celebration followed by awards. What a hot mess that was...literally. Now, I've always thought that if you had judges come from the community that there are actual grade level winners. Turns out that the awards were drawn from a "hat". Wow! I realize that in this day in age we don't want our kids to feel bad about themselves, but seriously...everyone can tell who did the work, who didn't and can reward appropriately. This is where (in my opinion) lots of kids grow up to think everything in life should be fair. I'd rather my kids learn an honest lesson here. They were excited by everything about the science fair EXCEPT even they felt that loosing because of a random drawing was more unfair than loosing to someone who clearly had a better project than you.
And, while I'm on my soap box. This is the third time this school has done this. 5th graders were asked to write an essay about their platform for student counsel. Then the school officials opted to draw names out of a hat for the winners of that governmental race. 3rd graders were given the opportunity to vie for 12 open spots on the schools "Lights Camera Action" team, a photography, visual arts group. Again, applications listing why you thought you wanted to be in the group were required...then they drew names from a hat. WHY bother having the kids write something meaningful if you are merely going to randomly select names? That's kind of like being a grown up, submitting a resume, going on an interview and then the hiring manager hands everyone a straw and whoever gets the short straw wins.
Ironically, the biggest overheard controversy of the night last night was the fact that each scientist was able to also submit artwork for the official science fair button. Entries were judged last week. The winners by grade level were announced. This time it was an actual judged contest and these were real winners. 2 out of 6 winners were the committee member's daughters and many kids in those grade levels instantly felt that the competition was rigged...because apparently, those girls had also won LAST YEAR! Go figure, the part of the science fair that was actually judged and awarded in a nonrandom fashion was the art portion.
LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment