Monday, January 17, 2011

The 5 Hole



Hockey. Q has always liked to watch hockey. After moving here he wanted to learn to ice skate. After the first lesson he walked off the ice and said he never wanted to do that again. He's had 9 lessons and every week he shows amazing improvement. He's advanced to level 2 and we suspect he'll be graduated from the program by May.

He's amazingly athletic. I saw a flyer back in November for a free hockey clinic run by the arena and the Red Wings Foundation. I thought it would be fun for Q to try it out because he talks about wanting to play hockey alot. He was too cute all dressed up in his hockey gear. He got a one hour clinic on hockey as well as a jersey to keep. He was so exhausted by the end of the session. I could tell by his body language that he could barely get up after falling down. His muscles so tired from skating with all that hockey gear on and learning to skate with a stick in his hand as well.

He had a nice slap shot and had some opportunities to score on goal. He did state afterwards that he really didn't want to play hockey anytime soon. LOL, he always feels that way after a session of learning something new. After his body recovers he usually changes his mind and becomes more excited.

One thing I have noticed throughout his trying new sports...he seems to be an ambidextrous player. he can naturally kick a soccer ball left or right handed, he can swing a baseball bat both directions and I did see him using his hockey stick in both directions. I love this kid.


No comments: